Are Meme’s Limiting Your Life Right Now?
What is a meme? A meme is a virus placed in your mind that influences how you act, think and behave. Meme’s are thoughts, core beliefs derived from your parents, friends and society.
A meme is “an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture.” A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. ~ Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
We all have meme’s that have shaped who we are today. If we don’t stop and take a look at our limiting meme’s we can never get passed them to create the life of our dreams. I’ve spent the last 20 years changing my core beliefs, getting rid of ancient meme’s and filling my mind, body and soul with beliefs that empower me and give me confidence.
Here are some common limiting memes that hold people back, especially when it comes to building a new business or following a dream. These are meme’s I’ve dealt with personally.
1. I have a limited college education. The people who make it in the world today are all educated.
2. I have to have money to make money.
3. No one will help me.
4. I’m to old to learn something new or start a new business.
5. I’m not smart enough.
“Everyone has within themselves a genius” ~ Wayne Dyer
6. I’m to tired. This is a limiting belief i’ve had to stop saying. Now I say, “I have an unlimited amount of energy and balance my life perfectly.”
7. I’m to busy.
8. I’m scared.
When you begin to think with awareness your memes begin to change from limiting to empowering.
How do you change a limiting meme to an empowering meme? When you begin to think about what you would like to put into action and then begin to take the steps towards living your dream, everything begins to fall into place.
Watch your thoughts. Your thoughts are the beginning stage of turning an idea into a reality. Be grateful everyday for what is going right! Say your thank you’s before you go to sleep. Work on your subconscious mind. Practice feeling joy, happiness and love more and more until it becomes your normal way of feeling. Feelings are the manifestors of your life. Focus on what you really want. You attract what you focus on.
Contemplate that all things are possible…let’s revisit my past limiting meme’s.
1. I have a limited college education. The people who make it in the world today are all educated. New way of looking at this limiting belief. There are several very successful business geniuses that have no college degrees. Bob Proctor , Walt Disney, Henry Ford, Richard Branson and Rachel Ray are just to name a few. What do they have in common? Passion and drive to take the steps to create their dreams. You can learn almost anything you want to. There is always someone who is willing to teach you what you want to learn. You can find training for almost anything online. Set your attention for what you want to learn and you will be guided to the content or teacher you need to begin your new education and career.
My dream is to build a very successful social media management business, create income from many sources, publish children & parenting books that inspired and empower, but most of all have fun and enjoy life, take vacations, play and enjoy the experience. You are witnessing this process manifest and take form. My business is growing more and more everyday. I love my clients and enjoy helping them expand their online presence and succeed in their dreams.
2. I have to have money to make money. Focus very close attention on where you spend every penny. Instead of buying a latte or getting your nails done, put money into the places you need to grow your business. Maybe you need to pay for your newsletter provider, hosting for your website, save for a training course to jump start your new entrepreneurial career. Where there’s a will there’s a way. I have scratched my way through the building of my new business. I created an action step list and work hard at completing each step I need to take to get me to the next level. Don’t give up because you feel you do not have money. Let your creative genius out in search of ways to create extra funds.
3. No one will help me. I hear this a lot. The fact is we have to begin to help ourselves and then others are more than willing to lend a helping hand. When I was encouraged by several conscious parenting authors to go into social media management full time, i felt like i was still missing the tools to be successful. I was unclear of the exact steps I needed to begin my new business. I found a very popular online social media course that was highly recommended. I was determined to somehow come up with the funds to take the course. At the time $297.00 seemed like a lot of money. I shared my dreams with my family and friends. My two sons pitched in together for mother’s day so I could pay for the first part of the course. I wasn’t sure at the time how I would pay for the second half but I new it would work out and the money would be in the bank. “It was!”
I purchased the course and took it very seriously. I immersed myself in my new studies and repeated it until I had absorbed what I needed to begin. I continuously keep learning about online management, marketing and social media trends. It all changes so rapidly you have to have your eye on the ball to stay in the game.
4. I’m to old to learn something new or start a new business. You are never to old to learn. Look at the elderly couple who was exploring how to use Skype and they accidentally recorded themselves. The video was put online and ended up going viral. Now they are spokesman’s for several businesses in their area and are learning more and more about how the online business world works. Be open to new ideas and opportunities.
5. I’m not smart enough. I’m in the process of training my husband to work with me part-time. Right now he’s still working at his full-time job but is getting ready to transition into staying home and helping grow our social media business. At first he would get really frustrated. He even said, “I feel stupid, I don’t know what you know about the online world.” I replied. “Put me under the car and tell me to change the alternator.” I would have no clue what to do. I had to learn what I know. Just like he learned how to be a mechanic, laborer, turn a slab of granite into a gorgeous counter top or fireplace mantle. It’s a learning process. Don’t be afraid to learn new things.
What excuses are you using right now that are holding you back in life or business? What limiting memes are you passing down to your children? What positive memes are you demonstrating?
Please join me on Facebook and share your limiting and empowering memes. Together we can create the life of our dreams.
I’m a huge fan of Dr. Wayne Dyer. Dr. Dyer teaches on meme’s in great length in his book, Excuses Be Gone! I encourage you to explore the subject more, especially if your life is not going the way you wish it was right now. While your researching Dr. Wayne Dyer also check out Bruce Lipton’s study of Epigenetics. These two concepts will change your life!
Here’s an additional article to inspire you! What are you waiting for? Change your thoughts, change your life. Get started today.
Carol Lawrence is an energetic practitioner, blogger, artist, children’s author, social media manager, author interviewer, book reviewer, virtual book tour planner and co-host of The Intentional Conscious Parenting Show. She has been happily married for twenty-six years, a mother of two Indigo sons, has several animals and loves nature, exploring the human mind, spirituality, reading, writing, mother earth, walking around in the forests of Montana and doing her part to make the world a better place. (Permission granted to reproduce this article in it’s entirety including author and bio and links)