You are following your dream and writing your first novel, instruction manual or children’s book. You’ve heard about creating a “writer’s platform” but you are not quite sure what exactly a writers platform is or how to even begin to create it. I’m here to help you with some basic set up ideas.
First and foremost. Why do you need a writer’s platform? Your author platform basically consists of your entire audience and places your audience exists. It includes your website, social media pages, newsletter list and more.
Having a writer’s platform on the internet creates a place that represents you. It helps you get known before your book deal arrives, or before your first set of self-published books arrive in the mail.
Having a consistent, active, engaged presence on the internet helps you establish your expertise in your field and it helps you creates a name for yourself. You will be branding you, your company or book.
When a publishing company, literary agent, person or fan searches your name they will be able to find your page with information about you and how to easily contact you.
Here are five tips to get started. Don’t worry, keep reading. I have many more tips to help you on your book marketing journey.
1) Create a blog. By creating an active website or blog you will begin branding yourself as the go to person in your niche. I have two blogs, one on Blogger and this one on WordPress. I really like both platforms. I know WordPress gets a lot more kudos in the blogging world because you can get your own hosting through Godaddy or another web hosting service and create your wordpress.org blog and own all your rights. There is a small monthly fee for self-hosting.
Whether you choose free hosting with WordPress, Blogger or pay for hosting and create a blog through WordPress.org, you’ll need to pay for your domain name so your url (web name is yours).
If you don’t have the time or know how on creating your own website I recommend Web Designs Your Way.
2) After you’ve picked your theme and began your blog it’s important to have key components on your blog.
- In the upper right or left hand corner place a picture of you, your book or logo.
- Bio ~ About me
- List the social media platforms you are on. You can add more to your blog as your online presence grow. (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Tumbler, G+ and more)
- Contact Information
- Consistent blog posts. Start with two-three great blog posts then start making a name for yourself around the blogosphere.
- As your blog begins to grow you can expand with more pages, affiliate banners, blog rolls and much more. Always keep your niche in mind as you expand.
- If your book is completed make it really simple for a customer to purchase your book right from your site. You can easily set up a shopping cart with Paypal when starting out.
- Ad your disclosure policy, copyright information and advertising info if applicable.
3) After your platform is created begin increasing readership by:
- Visiting other blogs in your niche and leaving comments.
- Find out what readers in your niche need.
- Write guest blog posts, Ezine articles. Begin establishing yourself online.
- Always be thinking about the whole picture. To become a successful author you will need more than a few books. You are going to need to offer products, information and resources for your audience.
4) Create your social media pages. Facebook is the largest social media platform. If you are ready to create your Facebook page but are unsure on how to get started check out my beginners training courses. No time to set up your own social media pages? Hire help! I recommend starting out with one or two social media platforms, getting familiar with them, then branch out into more.
“Carol blows my mind everyday! She is absolutely incredible at what she does, and if you want someone who is actually going to care about you and the sacred tribe that you have built with your heart and soul, she is your go-to gal! She captured my voice instantly, made an effort to familiarize herself with my message, to get to know me as a person and to serve my community on my behalf. She sends me updates regularly and always has her eyes open for opportunities because she genuinely wants my message to reach more people! I’ve worked with other social media specialists in the past, and Carol is by far THE best – plus I adore her as a person!!! I whole-heartedly recommend Carol and feel that it would not be better served by anyone else!” ~ Jennifer Longmore – Soul Journeys