Twitter has been going through changes. For instance they have recently added moments. A lightening bolt looking icon located at the top of the Twitter home page. When you click on the lightening bolt you see all the latest trending news. If you want to stay on top of trending news check Twitter first. I often read breaking stories minutes and sometimes an hour or so on Twitter before it hits the mainstream media. Another change is the favorites icon is now a heart. Who doesn’t like hearts right? Clicking on the heart under a post shows you like it. It’s a great way to acknowledge someone’s Tweet without actually saying something or retweeting it. I know for some business owners Twitter is a bit confusing so I’ve compiled a list to help simplify it a bit for you and provide you some tips on growing your business with Twitter. Do you have any more tips to add? Leave them in the comments below.
- Stay active on Twitter. Twitter is fast moving and requires lot’s of Tweets to get noticed.
- Use tools such as http://hootsuite.com to manage your Twitter account. You can schedule Tweets, see your @mentions and keep an eye on your platform from one universal spot. You can also schedule Facebook posts using Hootsuite. Don’t just rely on scheduled tweets. A combo of scheduled and live posting is essential! You must engage, engage, engage! For an example check out Adam Chandler. He is crushing it on Twitter!
- Fill in your profile completely. Do not miss this opportunity to show off your expertise. Here’s a look at my profile. Add some relevant hashtags and your website link.
- Be sure to add a profile picture. I never follow back someone who hasn’t taken the time to upload a photo. Plus, spammers tend to not use photos. Did you know there are people who set up hundreds of fake accounts a day? When you see someone promising 20,000 followers for $29.00, avoid them like the plague. You want real followers who are interested in what you have to say.
- Use the Twitter search located at the top of your Twitter page to search out local businesses, people, possible clients and more. Join niche related Twitter chats.
- Retweet relative content to your audience. Just like on Facebook or Pinterest, your followers love it when you share their information just make sure it’s a good fit for your audience.
- Use your own hashtag or a popular hashtag so your conversations can easily be found. Example: I use #socialmediahelp4u If someone clicks on that hashtag on Twitter or Facebook they will see multiple posts from me. You can also see how it shows up in the search engines when I search for it on Google.
- Paper.li papers are becoming real popular. One of the ways these online papers generate content is by pulling in Tweets with certain hashtags. Anyone can create their own Paper.li paper. It’s free to get started. My Social Media Help 4 U Daily News features social media articles from around the world. One hashtag I use to pull in content is #socialmedia.
- Add a photo to Twitter. Approximately 65% of people learn visually. According to 3M Corporation, the brain processes visual information 60,000 times faster than text.
- Build your list organically. Buying Twitter followers is not going to guarantee you that those followers give a care about what you are Tweeting. When following people look at their Tweets, you should be able to tell if they are a real person or company.
- Engage, engage, engage. I’ve met plenty of new friends, gained new leads and signed new clients through the use of Twitter. I know I said this before but it’s super important. People love to engage by answering questions so add a poll. Ask a question with multiple choice answers or ask a trivia question.
- Tweet content and links that lead back to your website, blog posts, Facebook page, newsletter opt-in page and other social sites.
- Tweet your services and tips related to your niche and industry helping you build your brand.
- Follow the top leaders in your industry. Watch and learn from what they do, what they Tweet. Share their content by RT’s, mention them and build relationships.
- Organize whom you follow with lists. You can create lists for customers, professional organizations, social media teachers you follow and more.
- Create a custom graphic and use it for your background visually branding your company on Twitter.
- Publicize your Twitter account by adding your Twitter handle to all your business materials. Flyers, business cards, online signature, website, email newsletter, receipts, invoices and where ever else you think it’s appropriate.
- Pay for promoted tweets to extend your twitter reach to a targeted audience.
- Use untweeps to clean up your Twitter account and stop following people who don’t Tweet.
- Add photos to your tweets. For example: Add pictures of employees in action, products and business meetings. If you are an author provide multiple cover options and ask for feedback on your readers favorite.
- Add the Twitter App to your smart phone so you can tweet on the go.
- Add the Instagram App to your your smart phone. Share pictures from Instagram to Facebook and Twitter all at the same time.
- Tweet a Twitter only special or coupon. Give a discount on a product or a free gift to your Twitter readers. ½ off second meal, free dessert, etc.
- Embed a tweet into a blog post. Or use the plug-in Click To Tweet.
25. If you really want to master Twitter, then you need to read Tweep-e-licious! 158 Twitter Tips & Strategies for Writers, Social Entrepreneurs & Changemakers Who Want to Market their Business Ethically.
Be sure to join me on Twitter for social media tips and more!
Overwhelmed by social media? Don’t be I’m here to help!
“Carol is very knowledgeable about Social-media. She is also a reliable resource. Being a small team with a lot of things to do, and social-media being a channel which can consume quite a good amount of your bandwidth, we were looking for someone with a strong expertise and who can also meet our targets. Carol fit the bill very well. We increased our organic followers on twitter by 50% when Carol was handling our channels. Carol would be a reliable resource for anyone who wants to scale up their social-media.” ~ Team Avaz
Carol Lawrence is the owner of Social Media Help 4 U, a virtual based business that supports authors and businesses based on integrity. Social Media Help 4 U offers conscious business services, providing intuitive and skill based social media management & consulting. Looking for social media assistance to grow your online presence and provide top notch customer service? Have a marketing budget? Look no further. Multiple packages available. Perfect for for the company who knows the value of a marketing budget and needs help putting their company on the social map! Contact her today!